The present Merchants House was built in the 19th century to reflect values that are still associated with the City. Situated in the heart of the City, the Merchants House is one of Glasgow’s hidden treasures.
To view our new venue hire brochure please click here: MH Brochure Web and to view a message, from the Lord Dean John F MacLeod, about how booking this venue helps Glasgow, please click here: Brochure Inserts Mar17 V3
Over the years it has been the setting for many functions, ranging from weighty annual general meetings of large companies to wedding receptions, anniversaries and dinners. The panelling in the Grand Hall is lined with plaques commemorating bequests to the House from earliest times. From the walls above hang portraits of eminent Merchants of yesteryear.
The Grand Hall, with its Steinway Grand Piano is constantly in demand. A maximum of 130 can be seated for a formal dinner, or luncheon. For smaller, less formal dinners or buffet suppers, for, say 60 to 80, there is the use of the hardwood dance floor. Musicians are accommodated on the dais at the end of the Hall. The well equipped kitchen is at hand to meet the demands of a panel of approved caterers. There are spacious cloakrooms on the floor above the Hall. The Directors Room can seat up to 50 for meetings, dinners, or luncheons. A welcoming coal-effect gas fire is lit on cold winter days. The Lord Dean's Room is ideal for small meetings of no more than 10. The large stained glass windows overlooking West George Street depict the scene in 1605, when the Letter of Guildry formalised the affairs of the Merchants House. The Committee Room, on the ground floor, is also ideal for smaller meetings and can seat 18 round a board table.
For venue enquiries, please contact our Events Manager, Ms Nancy Braid, on 0141 221 8272 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org