Welcome to The Merchants House of Glasgow Website
The Merchants House of Glasgow was constituted in 1605 by the Letter of Guildry, which laid down the rights, duties and privileges of the Merchants and Craftsmen of Glasgow. It is now a registered charity (SCO 08900).From the beginning, the Merchants House supported members and their families who had become "decayed and distressed", both within their hospital and outside it. Over the years donations and bequests have enabled the House to continue and extend this benevolence.
The Merchants House is now a major charitable institution and donations of more than £700,000 are awarded each year to deserving charities and individuals in Glasgow and beyond. For over four hundred years after its foundation, it is part of the fabric of Glasgow and the city is richer for it.
Benevolence is available on application from other organisations active in charitable fields in Glasgow and the local West of Scotland area. The House also makes grants from its funds to various educational institutions and provides bursaries.